Secrets to the best and quickest muesli for healthy breakfasts
One of the best things about traveling is that I always come back inspired to make the food that I've enjoyed eating, but I get to be creative to make it more healthy.
My last trip to Sayulita, Mexico, we had the privilege of having a chef preparing meals for us, and one of the breakfast items was the cold muesli, which I really took a liking to and re-created it this week.
In her honor, I will name it "Muesli a la Bertha".
I'm very happy to report that it's like a dream breakfast for me. The cold muesli is so satisfyingly healthy and tasty with the crunchy texture and sweetness of shredded apples and jicama. I love the cohesive blend of the buttery coconut milk, apple juice, and a slight tartness of the lemon juice that wraps up the wholesome goodness of cinnamon, chopped dates, raisins, and walnuts.
Each 4 ounce individual serving is ready to serve cold or warmed up in a bowl for your little ones (they will think they're eating dessert because it's that good!), or the busy mommies and daddies, to make your busy morning routines a bit less hectic.
Feel free to experiment with different kinds of milk, dried fruits and nuts, or fresh berries for the toppings. Enjoy!
Recipe yields 6 - 4 oz Mason jars
Here's my secrets to the best and quickest muesli for healthy breakfast for kids and adults!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1¾ cups coconut milk (found in Asian market in can like condensed milk. Dilute with water to the consistency of dairy milk)
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 apple, cored and grated without the peel
- 1 cup of peeled and shredded jicama
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Toppings : organic shredded coconut, chia seeds or flax seeds, chopped walnuts or almond slivers, blueberries, strawberries or tangerines slices, chopped raisins or dates
- 6 of 4 oz Mason jars
- Combine oats, coconut milk, apple juice and lemon juice and set aside
- Spoon the combined mixture in step 1 into the Mason jars only to half way
- Sprinkle shredded chia seeds on top of the mixture
- Layer shredded apples, jicama, chopped raisins and dates, then walnuts or almost last
- Lastly top off with the fruit
- Close lids tightly and refrigerate overnight
- Can be served cold or warmed up in a bowl in the morning
- Add more honey or plain yogurt per your preference
Share your favorite quick and healthy breakfast recipes with other minimalist moms and dads. As always, I invite you to engage with me on my website and social media:
Facebook: https://facebook.com/beingchi (Author Page)
With warmest regards